Last updated: May 15, 2018
StataCorp LLC (StataCorp) strives to provide our users with exceptional
products and services. To do so, we must collect personal information
from you. This information is necessary to conduct business with our
existing and potential customers. We collect and use this information
only where we may legally do so. This policy explains what personal
information we collect, how we use it, and what rights you have to that
What personal information does StataCorp collect?
Depending on the circumstances, the following are the types of personal information you might provide us:
- Email address
- Delivery, billing, and mailing addresses
- Phone number(s)
- Company/institution name
- Company tax ID number
- Proof of academic affiliation as necessary to provide applicable pricing
- Payment information
- Product information and technical support requests
- Stata license information
- Device and network information, such as your IP address and operating system
Why does StataCorp collect personal information about you?
To buy from us, you must provide contact information, such as your name and delivery address, and financial information, such as your credit card number and expiration date. This information is used for billing purposes and to process your order. In addition, if we have questions concerning an order, we will use this information to contact you. For orders placed on our
website, our method for contacting you will be email. The following are reasons we need your personal information:
- To process and deliver orders that you place with us or that are placed on your behalf, and to provide you with documentation or other material in support of such orders
- To provide products, services, and support requested by you or on your behalf
- To provide responsive and accurate information in conjunction with an order for products or services
- To manage licenses or subscriptions for the use of our products and services
- To obtain feedback measuring your satisfaction with Stata products and services
- To provide information regarding the renewal or expiration of agreements, version upgrades, and other notifications about Stata and services that you license or use
- To administer and improve our products, websites, and services
- To send the Stata News, which is a free publication containing announcements of new releases and updates, articles discussing Stata's features, meetings, new products, and other announcements of interest to Stata users; you may opt out
- To fulfill our contractual agreements or comply with obligations imposed by applicable laws
How does StataCorp collect personal information?
- When you create an account on our website
- When you request information for products and services
- When you use chat
- When you place an order for products or services
- When you download software from our servers
- When you register your Stata license
- When you sign up for our newsletter, product and training alerts, or trainings/webinars
- When you enter prize drawings or have your conference badge scanned at conferences
- When you fill out surveys at training courses or seminars hosted by StataCorp
- When you do any of the above through one of our dealers
When does StataCorp share your personal information?
- We share customer information with our authorized dealers who have a legitimate interest to receive such information to be able to provide local support and services. Dealers comply with the privacy laws set forth in their respective countries.
- We do not sell or give customer information to any third party (except our authorized dealers and payment processors).
- We enter the information you give us into a customer database system that only StataCorp employees can access.
How long does StataCorp store your personal information?
We may keep your personal information to allow us to manage our relationship with you and to provide you with relevant product and service information, but we will keep it no longer than is necessary.
How can you access or correct the personal information StataCorp stores about you?
- You can update your profile by logging on and following the prompts, if you have created an online account.
- You may request to obtain the personal information we maintain on you by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may request that StataCorp update, correct, or remove your personal information by emailing email@example.com. Removal of some personal information may prevent use of certain products and services.
How does StataCorp protect your personal information?
StataCorp is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information collected.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of the webpage.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
- StataCorp takes reasonable steps to make sure your personal information is accurate, complete, current, and otherwise reliable with regard to its intended use.
- StataCorp takes appropriate measures to maintain the confidentiality of, to prevent the unauthorized use or disclosure of, and to protect this information from loss and misuse. This includes maintaining a system of administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to secure such information, such as firewalls, secure (https) web forms, and access control lists.
How can you contact StataCorp?
4905 Lakeway Drive
College Station, Texas 77845-4512