RE: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <Peter.Lachenbruch@oregonstate.edu>
Subject   RE: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
Date   Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:45:44 -0700

Almost totally agree.  Some packages have specific routines that aren't available elsewhere.  For some R routines, you may need to do a bit of searching for the user supplied function - same is true is Stata.  I would suggest not citing for t-tests, ANOVA, etc.

Some older folks on the list may recall the time when everyone would cite Fisher, R. A. "Statistical Methods for Research Workers" with an appropriate publication date.  Not too useful

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Winter
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:38 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

At the risk of provoking flames - can someone articulate the reason
*for* citing the statistical software used in a book or article,
especially in the case where only very standard statistical tools are
used?  We don't, for example, generally cite the word processor,
citation management software, and other computer tools used in the
course of our research....

- Nick Winter

--
Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f