Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
Date   Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:04:34 -0400

> I've been fiddling around with various ways to estimate the popularity
> of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, JMP, Minitab, Statistica, Systat, BMDP, S-PLUS,
> R-PLUS and Revolution R. It's not an easy task. You can see what I've
> come up with so far at . I'm sure people
> will have plenty of ideas on how to improve this, so please let me know
> what you think.

If researchers publishing papers with data analysis were required to
indicate their package, that would help quite a bit. I searched Google
Scholar for Stata, SAS and SPSS, constraining the publication year to
2009, and got 32900, 175000 and 44800. Each software is idiosyncratic:
should you give a link to or should you
give a link to or to SSC? And since R does not have
support in the sense the commercial vendors do, [R-help] is the only
source of support, and the number of subscribers to [R-help] should be
compared to the sum of the number subscribers to Statalist and the
number of people who contacted Stata tech-support@.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at