Re: st: indicator variable and interaction term different signs but both significant

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: indicator variable and interaction term different signs but both significant
Date   Sun, 7 Apr 2013 08:34:52 -0400

Richard,

That statement may be all right in Nahla's analysis.  The difficulty
lies in the phrase "and the values of other variables are the same for
both."  OC_MV = 0 because MV = 0; that is a special case.  We don't
know that the data contain overconfident managers and rational
managers for whom the values of size, leverage, litigation, private_D,
and same_D are the same (or nearly enough the same).  If so, no
problem.  If not, the statement is an extrapolation, not supported by
the data.  It is up to Nahla (and to analysts generally) to avoid
extrapolating (too far) beyond the data.  Many people (and textbooks)
give that sort of interpretation without any evidence of checking on
extrapolation.

My bottom line was that Nahla should focus on the interaction term (or
in the present example the X^2 term), rather than the "main effect."
The general interpretation is still correct for the coefficient of X,
but it is not meaningful to consider the effect of X without including
the contribution of X^2.  The discussion in your handout is good
guidance on such issues.

David Hoaglin