st: Setting some coefficients to zero in a panel probit regression

From   Nick Baker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Setting some coefficients to zero in a panel probit regression
Date   07 Apr 2013 15:17:56 +0100

Hi all, I am attempting to use Stata to estimate a longitudinal probit model of hedge fund liquidation, following the method of Baquero, ter Horst and Verbeek (2005)http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=873521. The dependent variable is a binary variable that is 0 if a fund liquidates in a certain time period, 1 if it does not. Regressors include lagged monthly returns, amongst other things.

I am estimating the model with 12 lagged monthly returns. The coefficients on lagged returns are assumed to be equal across funds, with the exception of those cases where a fund has fewer than 12 historical returns.

In such a case the authors set the coefficients on lagged returns equal to zero if the corresponding return is unobserved.

I am entirely stumped as to how to implement such a procedure in Stata and was wondering if anyone else had encountered a similar problem.

Many thanks for your help,
Nick Baker