Re: st: xtlogit: panel data transformation's recast to double makes model incomputable

From   Tom <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit: panel data transformation's recast to double makes model incomputable
Date   Wed, 3 Apr 2013 16:33:22 +0200

Hi Jay,

Just to be clear -- I am also "on Nick's side". Anyway I don't want to
be talking about sides, somehow that's somewhat associated with a
battle and that is absolutely unrelated to this fruitful discussion.

I want to stress that I did start with theory, and that it made me
choose a fixed effects logistic regression. I am not somehow "choosing
the model that gives me an answer". For example, I used - clogit,
group()- but that is identical to -xtlogit, fe- so there is no change
there. Moreover, I used -logit- but only to verify if this problem was
related to panel data or not. For your information, I already started
over.

Anyway, I think I may have a very important pointer that could help in
finding the cause of this issue:
when I run -ladder close- it returns absolutely nothing, i.e.:

 ladder close

Transformation         formula               chi2(2)       P(chi2)
cubic                  close^3                    .            .
square                 close^2                    .            .
identity               close                      .            .
square root            sqrt(close)                .            .
log                    log(close)                 .            .
1/(square root)        1/sqrt(close)              .            .
inverse                1/close                    .            .
1/square               1/(close^2)                .            .
1/cubic                1/(close^3)                .            .

I believe this is very much related to the problems I am having with
this variable, close. If I can determine why ladder refuses to give me
any transformations, then I may be able to figure out what is the
source of this issue.

I am not just trying to get an answer, I am interested in why ladder
is not returning any transformations because this may give me
information on the root cause of the problem.

Thanks again.

Tom