Re: st: xtlogit: panel data transformation's recast to double makes model incomputable

From   Tom <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit: panel data transformation's recast to double makes model incomputable
Date   Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:54:17 +0200

I understand what you mean. Note that I did not use any of these other
models until unexpected computational problems appeared.

I chose for a fixed effects model because I do not expect prices to be
determined randomly, but rather to be inherent to the underlying
company (each group represents a company). I expect each company to
have a (time independent) effect on its prices. Therefore a fixed
effects model seems appropriate. Also, the initial estimates are often
significant and even the simpler model seem to have explanatory and
predictive power.

You mention that I can decide on another correlation structure for the
observations, but according to the -xtlogit- help this is only
applicable for population average (PA) models.

I still don't quite see how this could cause the behavior that I'm
seeing though. There are even issues with some independent variables
when they are the only explanatory variable in the model, as shown in
my earlier posts (e.g. -xtlogit depc_gpf30 close, fe-).

I'm currently trying to determine if any of the companies have extreme
leverage effects that could cause some of the issues.

Tom