Re: st: Checking that -adoupdate- is OK

Subject   Re: st: Checking that -adoupdate- is OK
Date   Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:22:55 -0500

At 08:50 PM 1/20/2006, you wrote:
This is precisely the problem: there is no package called -clarify- to
uninstall. Its component routines (-estsimp-, -setx- and -simqi-) were
downloaded to their respective a-z folders in C:/ado/plus (where they
ought to be), so it should be a routine thing to simply

. ado uninstall clarify.pkg

or

. ado uninstall estsimp

but every time, it returns

package not found
r(111);
I don't know how you installed it initially. But, Gary King's software page is at

http://gking.harvard.edu/stats.shtml

He says you can either type "net from http://gking.harvard.edu/clarify"; at the Stata command line or download it as a zip archive. Perhaps you did the latter. I would try installing it myself but now you've got me worried that I wouldn't be able to uninstall it. :)

Incidentally, I've found that if you want to share your programs with others, and you don't want to go through ssc, it is worthwhile to set things up so people can use the "net from" command. It is sort of amazing how otherwise intelligent people can screw things up when you just send them the program, or else run into hassles like Clive is. Setting up your own site can be good for beta software (which is what I do), software for students, or if you just want to have complete control and not go through ssc.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]