Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model
Date   Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:13:00 -0400

Dear Suryadipta,

Thanks for the further explanation.

If your dependent variable (Trade) is zero in about 15% of the
observations, I am skeptical that it would be adequate to use a
fixed-effects Poisson model without explicitly accounting for the
source of the zeros.  If a "zero" is due to non-reporting, shouldn't
it be a missing value?  With such a continuous dependent variable, it
would be unlikely to observe zero by chance.  If a pair of countries
is not able to trade, that would need to be accounted for as a
"structural zero," either in a separate part of the model or by
omitting those observations from the analysis.  That huge literature
may argue in favor of Poisson, but what is the empirical evidence on
how well the models fit?

I agree that it would be problematic to have 5000 explicit fixed
effects.  What is the source of such a large number of fixed effects?

As a model-building strategy it might be instructive to set aside the
idea of fixed effects and see what happens when you use random effects
instead.

Another useful strategy when you have a large amount of data is to
split the data into parts (usually at random, with appropriate
stratification if needed), perhaps two halves.  Set one of the parts
aside (out of sight) for use later in validating the final model.  Do
the model-building on the other part.  In one project that I worked on
several years ago, we used 50% of the data for no-holds-barred model
building, another 25% for fine-tuning the "final" model, and the other
25% to get an clean estimate of prediction error.

If the data come from time series, what does the analysis do about
serial correlation?

Regards,

David Hoaglin