Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model
Date   Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:58:13 -0400

Dear Suryadipta,

It may be helpful to focus, initially, on the fitted model in the log scale.

The definition of the coefficient of "dummy" includes the list of
other predictors in the model (constant, x1, and dummy*x1).  Also,
when you interpret the coefficient of "dummy", you should mention that
it summarizes the effect of "dummy" on log(Trade) after adjusting for
simultaneous linear change in x1 and dummy*x1.  If the interpretation
of the coefficient of "dummy" does not mention those adjustments, it
gives the impression that the coefficient summarizes the change in
log(Trade) corresponding to an increase of 1 unit (i.e., 1 SD) in x1
when the other predictors are held constant.  In your model that
oversimplified interpretation is misleading, because one cannot change
"dummy" and hold dummy*x1 constant.  More generally, the "held
constant" interpretation does not reflect the way multiple regression
works.

The presence of the interaction term implies that the model makes
separate adjustments for the contribution of x1 in the two groups
defined by "dummy".  It also implies (as you mentioned) that the
effect of "dummy" depends on the value of x1.  It is easiest to
calculate that effect when x1 = 0.  That may be an appropriate
starting point, but you should also show the mean of x1 when "dummy" =
0 and the mean of x1 when "dummy" = 1 (and look at the relation
between the ranges of x1 in the two groups).  Centering the variable
underlying x1 is likely to be a good idea, but the case for dividing
by its standard deviation is less clear.

This discussion should clarify the interpretation and provide a basis
for translating it to the original scale of the data.  It applies also
if you use quasi-likelihood, conveniently available in the glm/poisson
framework.  If you want to work in terms of elasticities, please check
that any derivatives involved do not (inappropriately) assume that the
other predictors can be held constant.

David Hoaglin