Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model

From   Suryadipta Roy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model
Date   Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:59:57 -0400

Dear David,
Thank you for the suggestions! I have cross country time series data
(unbalanced panel) where the dependent variable is zero for about 15%
of the observations. Many papers have recorded more zero-s, e.g. the
paper by Silva and Tenreryo that I mentioned in the previous email
reports about 50% of zero observations for the dependent variable
(Bilateral Import/Export). I started with a fixed effects log-linear
model (more traditional in the trade literature) and moved on to fixed
effects Poisson (following Bill Gould's Stata Blog suggestions and the
Stata meeting presentation by Austin Nichols :
http://www.stata.com/meeting/boston10/boston10_nichols.pdf , as well
as some other papers in the literature). I have indeed tried Negative
Binomial and might report the results in the paper (but Stata does not
have a true fixed effects NB model since the coefficients of the time
invariant explanatory variables are reported (Paul Allison, "Fixed
effects regression models", Sage, 2009, and some other issues
discussed here: Guimarães, P., (2008), The fixed effects negative
binomial model revisited, Economics Letters, 99, pp63–66), and the
bootstrap standard errors in NB is taking forever to run with my data.
Based on the theoretical development in the literature, I must control
for fixed effects in my regressions. I have also tried -zip- and
-zinb- but there is no conditional fixed effects model in Stata. I did
not venture to introduce about 5000 fixed effects in my regressions
with -zip- / -zinb- ; most likely these would take forever to run
(with more 100,000 observations) , will not converge, and suffer from
incidental parameters problem. I have also looked into hurdle models,
but the question is if the zero-s are due to non-reporting of data or
if countries are not able to trade for some other reasons- there is a
huge literature in this area which have argued in favor of Poisson.
Thank you very much for all the comments and helpful suggestions!

Best regards,
Suryadipta.