Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of interaction term in log linear (non linear) model
Date   Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:58:12 -0400

Dear Suryadipta,

Thank you for the additional details.

In many analyses of non-negative counts, where a Poisson distribution
is plausible, the presence of a substantial number of zero counts
leads to consideration of alternative models.  Sometimes a negative
binomial distribution is satisfactory.  If the number of zero counts
is large enough, further alternatives include zero-inflated models and
hurdle models.  Cameron and Trivedi (2013) have an extensive
discussion of various alternatives.  I have not seen your data, but
your mention of "many zeros" raises a warning flag.

"Following tradition" is sometimes a very weak justification for
choosing a particular approach to analysis.  It is essential to
understand whether the data are compatible with the "traditional
approach."  If not, the "traditional approach" is not valid, no matter
how popular it may be in the literature.

When I get a chance, I will try to look at the two papers that you mentioned.

Regards,

David Hoaglin

A. C. Cameron and P. K. Trivedi (2013).  Regression Analysis of Count
Data, second edition.  Cambridge University Press.