st: Esttab matrix formatting

From   Dorothy Bridges <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Esttab matrix formatting
Date   Mon, 10 Jun 2013 08:13:59 -0700

I have an 8x4 matrix of estimation results (for example, mat
Try=J(8,4,1)).  In this matrix, every other row contains standard
errors.

I would like to either (a) use esttab with options that allow me to
format the matrix as a regression table (i.e., long string labels, row
gaps, errors in parentheses, etc.) or (b) ask Stata to consider
submatrices as actual regression output, thereby using esttab in
non-matrix mode.

Am I correct in understanding that (a) is impossible?

Option (b) would be something like this
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-01/msg01084.html, except
starting from a matrix (rather than starting from estimation
commands).  Any help would be deeply appreciated.