Re: st: indicator variable and interaction term different signs but both significant

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: indicator variable and interaction term different signs but both significant
Date   Sun, 7 Apr 2013 21:51:08 -0400

Richard,

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.  I'm glad to elaborate.

The short answer, oversimplifying somewhat (but not a lot), is that
the "common phrasing" is incorrect, because it does not reflect the
way multiple regression works.  For reference, not tied to the present
example, one version of the common interpretation (which appears in
far too many books) is that a coefficient in a multiple regression
tells us about the change in y corresponding to an increase of 1 unit
in that predictor when the other predictors are held constant.  In
less categorical language, I usually say that, as a general
interpretation, it is oversimplified and often incorrect.  Thus, my
"preferred interpretation" is superior simply because it accurately
reflects the way multiple regression works (more below).

When you say, "According to the model ...," the phrase "when ... the
values of other variables are the same for both" is not actually
"according to the model."  The distinction may be clearer if you
consider the partial-regression plot (also called the "added-variable
plot") for a chosen predictor.  The vertical coordinate is the
residual from the regression of y on the other predictors, and the
horizontal coordinate is the residual from the regression of the
chosen predictor on the other predictors.  The slope of the regression
line through the origin of the partial-regression plot equals the
coefficient of the chosen predictor in the multiple regression (in
which the predictors are the chosen predictor and the other
predictors).  This result is straightforward mathematics, and it
motivates the interpretation that the coefficient of the chosen
predictor tells how the dependent variable changes per unit change in
that predictor after adjusting for simultaneous linear change in the
other predictors in the data at hand.  The adjustment consists of
freeing y (and the chosen predictor) of regression on the other
predictors.  The process of fitting a multiple regression model does
not hold those other predictors constant.  Cook and Weisberg (1982,
Section 2.3.2) give a proof.  I haven't tried to locate the earliest
proof, but Yule (1907, Section 9) has an elegant proof.  Mosteller and
Tukey (1977) have a chapter entitled "Woes of Regression Coefficients"
and a proof (in Section 14K).  The development of regression in the
introductory textbook by De Veaux et al. (2012) includes the correct
general interpretation.

My point about not extrapolating beyond the data is not moot, because
I was focusing mainly on size, leverage, litigation, private_D, and
same_D.

Multiple regression is often more complex than it appears.  To gain a
proper understanding, however, one has to come to grips with the
complexity.  The "held constant" interpretation of regression
coefficients introduces avoidable confusion and impedes proper
understanding.

I hope this discussion helps.

David Hoaglin

Cook RD, Weisberg S (1982).  Residuals and Influence in Regression.
Chapman and Hall.

De Veaux RD, Velleman PF, Bock DE (2012).  Stats: Data and Models, 3rd
ed.  Addison-Wesley.

Mosteller F, Tukey JW (1977).  Data Analysis and Regression.  Addison-Wesley.

Yule, GU (1907).  On the theory of correlation for any number of
variables, treated by a new system of notation.  Proceedings of the
Royal Society of London. Series A, Containing Papers of a Mathematical
and Physical Character.  79:182-193.