Re: st: Reconcile Log Transformed with Untransformed Results

Subject   Re: st: Reconcile Log Transformed with Untransformed Results
Date   Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:58:36 -0500

Erasmo Giambona <[email protected]> :
No need to add "in economic terms" as the result is simply not interpretable.
To restate my objection from Feb 13:
a regression of ln(y+1) on ln(x+1) does not estimate
an elasticity, and a change from -0.45 to +0.4 does not correspond to
any well-defined percentage point change.  If you are unsure of the
correct functional form, consider -lpoly- or -fracpoly- or -mkspline-
or -pspline- (on SSC).

Why not simply estimate a linear regression with OLS and plot your 16
points as well, both with and without the outlier you don't like?

sysuse auto, clear
keep in 1/16
replace mpg=mpg/20-1
replace weight=weight/3300-1
sc mpg weight ||lfit mpg weight||lfit mpg weight if _n!=13
g y=ln(mpg+1)
g x=ln(weight+1)
sc y x ||lfit y x||lfit y x if _n!=13, name(why)

I can't see why you are ever adding one and taking logs--there is no
justification for it that I have seen.