RE: st: Reconcile Log Transformed with Untransformed Results

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Reconcile Log Transformed with Untransformed Results
Date   Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:24:03 -0800

Since one of your y's is negative, -0.03, why should taking logs help? Would a glm with a log link help?

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Erasmo Giambona
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:32 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Reconcile Log Transformed with Untransformed Results

Thanks Austin. I have been traveling so it has been difficult to look
into this issue. To answer your question. I am using a two-step
procedure that is used sometime in monetary policy research. My y is a
coefficient estimated from a panel regression using firm level data.
This is the first step. y ranges from -0.03 to +0.07 (with mean=0.023,
median=0.024, st dev=0.028, skew=-.37, kurt= 2.52). I have 16 y's, one
per year. In the secon step i regress y on x, where x is an annual
interest rate spread ranging from -.95% to 1.15% (with mean=3.96e-07,
median=.0004551, st dev=.6426913, skew=.1102487, kurt= 2.15). The
scatter of y on x clearly shows that y increase with x, but there is
one obs (out of the 16) with a very low x and a very high y. I am
taking the logs to try to reduce the effetc of this obs. Thought this
is more parimonious relative to the alternative of dropping hte obs
and winsorizing seems unfeasible with 16 obs.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated,

Erasmo