Re: st: Still Thinking or Resisting

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Still Thinking or Resisting
Date   Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:13:20 -0600

On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:41 AM, javanfish wrote:

> Dear STATA.com
>
> This experience is never ending. I generate twoway graphics by loop. It's about more than 10. And I combine them in a graphic.

You should post the pertinent code from your do-file and information about what version of Stata you are using (type  -about-) & the OS you are running.

> The problem that I encount is that the graphics do not appear when I maximize the size of graphic windows to the full screensize. I guess the size of memory is not the cause since it is 32GB. What could be the reasons?

Do the graphics appear before you maximize the window?  Can you -graph export- the combined graphics and view them in an external program?

> My current solution is to save all of codes and data before clicking the loop for graphics because I always need to stop STATA and I have lost some codes in every time. I hope to access Do-file editor and STATA even though the graphics are stuck. It could be a possible convenience.

Why do you "need to stop Stata"?
Are you saying the combining 10 graphs causes your Stata to freeze or crash or that you have to hit the break button for some reason (e.g., the loop not breaking)?  Have you tried combining a smaller number of graphs to see if there is some threshold where your Stata starts freezing...e.g., try it with 2 graphics in the loop, then 4, and so on.

This sounds to me like an issue for the technical support at Stata (and, based on your greeting line to STATA.com, you might be hoping that this message would go directly to them), so you may want to look at this page:  http://www.stata.com/support/tech-support/tech2.html

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute