RE: st: RE: FWD: poisson regression on aggrgregated data

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: FWD: poisson regression on aggrgregated data
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 06:28:51 +0900

OK, I see.

You have the year that treatment started: 1997,1998,1999,...,2008
which you have coded as:
year_start_cat  = 1 if year_start=1997 and
year_start_cat  = 2 if year_start=1998,1999,...,2008

You have time since the treatment started (time_since_start):0_1, 1_2,
2_3,...,Max
coded as:
time_since_start_cat = 1 if time_since start = 0_1 .
time_since_start_cat = 2 if time_since start = 1_2
time_since_start_cat = 3 if time_since start = 2_3,...,Max

Then you modelled the incidence rates using these covariates and now you
want to predict the rates in each of the calendar years that treatment
started (1997,1998,1999,...,2008) and in each of the years since
treatment started (0_1, 1_2, 2_3,...,Max).

Your model is assuming that the rate in the treatment years 1998 to 2008
is the same.  Similarly, it is assuming that after two years of
follow-up have elapsed, the rate is the same; constant with time since
treatment started.  In fact, it is assuming that this constant rate is
the same for all treatment years, 1998 to 2008.

If these assumptions are correct, then you could use the model to
predict the rates, but you would need to provide some evidence that they
are correct.

If you have sufficient data, you could use -strate- to generate the
rates for year_start and time_since start to see if your assumptions are
essentially correct.

strate year_start time_since start

This would give you the annual incidence rates since treatment started
and you could graph these for each calendar year.  I did something
similar to this in a study of second primary melanoma rates:
McCaul et al. The incidence of second primary invasive melanoma in
Queensland, 1982-2003. Cancer Causes Control 2008; 19(5):451-8.

Alternately, you could go back to your original data and use
Kaplan-Meier to generate hazard curves by calendar year of treatment.
These should be constant three or more years after treatment and they
should be similar for 1998 through to 2008.

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House
48 Murray St
Perth 6000
Phone: (08) 9224-2140
Fax: (08) 9224 8009
email: [email protected]
http://myprofile.cos.com/mccaul
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8751-2008
The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.