Re: st: Re: Saving 1 observation

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Saving 1 observation
Date   Thu, 29 May 2008 09:34:22 -0400

An imperfect solution might be to use -outsheet-, which
allows the -if- qualifier. First, save your labels:

 label save using mylabels, replace
 forv i=1/N {
	outsheet using Portion`i'.csv if Needed`i', replace
 }
 clear
 forv i=1/N {
	insheet using Portion`i'.csv, clear
	do mylabels
	save Portion`i', replace
 }

The first loop saves the fragmentary datasets as CSV files;
the second reads them in, applies the labels, and saves them
as Stata files.

It is clumsy, but I think will be much faster than your
current solution.

hth,
Jeph

Sergiy Radyakin wrote:
Dear Michael,

thank you very much for your suggestions. Just as you wrote, the first
one saves about half the time needed and is a good improvement. The
second one is a bit complicated, since I don't immediately see how the
labels can be declared/saved with this approach.

So, I am thinking about saving the labels first with -label save-,
then dumping the data into several files with -post-, then open them
one-by-one and apply the saved labels and resave. Would that be the
fastest way to do it?

Thank you,
   Sergiy Radyakin