RE: st: RE: Saving 1 observation

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Saving 1 observation
Date   Thu, 29 May 2008 14:43:56 +0100

Richard is correct. My -savesome- from SSC is a just a wrapper for
-save-. It employs no tricks that Sergiy doesn't know about and saves
time only in so far as it may cut down on your typing.

-savesome- arose during a Statalist thread in April 2001. Re-reading
that thread shows that we are cycling through most of the same issues.
At the time a critic pointed out that -savesome- gives you no speed-up
in machine terms. He was absolutely right, but neither he nor anybody
else had a better idea.

What is different now is that Mata is around, but I have no precise idea
on how or whether that does offer a better solution.

Richard Williams

At 07:25 PM 5/28/2008, Peter J. Burke wrote:
>Sergiy,
>         Check out the ado file -savin- (findit savin)
>
>STB-22  dm23  . . . . . . . . . . . .  Saving a subset of the current
data
>set
>         (help savin if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
D.
>Mabb

There is also Nick Cox's -savesome-.  It is newer, although I don't
know that that would make it any quicker.