st:: RE: identifying perfect outcome predictor

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st:: RE: identifying perfect outcome predictor
Date   Tue, 6 May 2008 22:03:20 +0100

I would definitely consider "convergence to +/- infinity" to be a
feature of -glm-, rather than a bug. I sometimes fit models for a binary
disease outcome, with multiple baseline odds, corresponding to subgroups
of subjects, and a single odds ratio, corresponding to the exposure of
interest. In this case, the common odds ratio is the parameter of
interest, and the baseline odds are nuisance parameters. And, if there
are no disease cases in one subgroup, then that subgroup will have a
zero baseline odds (corresponding to a baseline log odds of minus
infinity), and a full set of zero residuals (implying a zero influence
function for all subjects in that group). The estimate and confidence
interval for the common odds ratio will then still be valid, provided
that there are enough disease cases in the other groups, and the
convergence of the baseline odds in the disease-free subgroup to zero
implies only that that disease-free subgroup will have no influence on
the common odds ratio.

Also, like Al, I sometimes fit a logit model with a view to defining a
propensity score, rather than with a view to calculating parameter
estimates that I can take seriously. In those cases, the presence of a
parameter that converges to +/- infinity will often imply only that a
handful of subjects are allocated to the top or bottom propensity group.
(If nearly all subjects are allocated to the top or bottom propensity
group, then I know to make the model a bit more "coarse" and to be less
ambitious about the level of confounder-adjustment that I can
realistically acchieve with the available data.)

Roger

Roger B Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute