RE: st: Re: "xml_tab" and "streg"

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: "xml_tab" and "streg"
Date   Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:18:32 -0000

I can't help with the specifics of -xml_tab-, which I have not used
or examined very closely.

Rather, I can comment on the use of -version- here.

Generally, -version- is not a time machine, or even a version machine.

If you want Stata 8 behaviour, for example, the only surefire way to get
that is to use Stata 8.

Also, -version- does much less than some people hope it will do. By and
large, it sets things back only in respect of things documented under
-version-. I think that's not the whole truth, but it's nearer the whole
truth than the idea that -version- is a time machine.

As -xml_tab- is already written for Stata 8, I wouldn't expect using
-version 8- in calling it would make any difference, given that there is
no use within -xml_tab- of -_caller()-.

Daniel Klein

Thanks for your help. I have the same xml_tab version. However, when I
run your program it still generates an error:

/ln_sig invalid name
r(198);

I noticed that the ado was written for version 8. My version is 10. So I

tried

vers 8: xml_tab, replace save(c:\test)

, which most times generated the same error message. Sometimes it worked

but I could not infer the reason for that. The version command works
strange...

-Daniel