RE: st: RE: Re: ST: editing variable names & labels

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Re: ST: editing variable names & labels
Date   Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:30:53 -0000

In addition to other stuff,

. db label

brings up various dialog boxes.

-labvarch- in -labutil- on SSC is a -renvars-like tool for variable
labels. I wrote it, but never use it.

It's striking that John Gleason's -labedit- seems to have attracted no
clones or updates since being last revised in STB in 1999. Quite what
that shows I am not clear (except that John long since transferred his
affections to R).

Maarten buis

--- Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> Your question is becoming less clear to me. For the benefit of those
> of us who don't ever use SPSS, please spell out precisely what you
are
> missing: some kind of editor that consists only of fields for
> metadata such as names and variable labels?

Yes, the variable view in SPSS is an editor where the rows are
variables, and the columns are things like variable name, variable
label, value labels, column width (similar but not the same as format),
etc. But as I remarked earlier I would not be in favor of such a
fascility (not that I have any voting rights...)