RE: st: ICE in STATA 10.0

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ICE in STATA 10.0
Date   Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:42:29 -0000

Many thanks for the clarification, which rather exposes that I don't
use -adoupdate- very often. (No good reason.) On the face of it, these
look like good suggestions for StataCorp to consider.

Richard Williams

At 10:32 AM 1/7/2008, Nick Cox wrote:
>Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but it seems from this that Richard has
>experienced some problems with -adoupdate- catching SJ Software
>Updates. If so, please report them in the usual way with specific
>evidence to Stata technical support.

With SJ, the problem is that the original package never gets updated,
e.g. st0067 is always the same st0067.  So, when authors send in a new
version, it becomes st0067_1, then st0067_2, etc.  As far as adoupdate
is concerned, these are separate packages, not updates of the original.
That is, SJ's practice of creating a new package, rather than updating
the original package, is something that adoupdate is not designed to
take care of.  To avoid that, either

(a) the original package should get updated, using the original name, or
(b) adoupdate should be modified to give special treatment to SJ
packages.  So, if st0067 is installed, it could check to see if there is
an st0067_1 or st0067_2 or whatever.