RE: st: clinical trials

To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: clinical trials
Date   Fri, 04 Jan 2008 16:08:07 -0500

At 03:19 PM 1/4/2008, Verkuilen, Jay wrote:
Stata's facility at extension by users is a great asset and your program is very nice. However, it's tough for my students---who are using a network install and who therefore lack permissions to install components from ssc or elsewhere easily---to get at it so I don't tend to push the add-ons too much.
We have the same problem here. You can try to install stuff, and either you can't do it or it disappears within 24 hours. Here is the workaround I suggest for my students. It may or may not be adaptable for your purposes:

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/statsinfo/ndstata/ndstata.html

The bigger problem at Notre Dame is that you are at the mercy of the system administrators to install the Stata patches. They don't even necessarily know that there is such a thing as the -update- command; and if they do know they aren't going to run it more than once a semester. I suppose that is understandable when you have hundreds of machines to maintain, but it isn't optimal from my standpoint. I encourage my students to buy their own personal copies of Stata.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam