Re: st: clinical trials

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clinical trials
Date   Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:08:44 -0600

.

Basically all (corporate) job ads for this field require SAS expertise. But from your described experience, this has nothing to do with the FDA, and everything to do with successful SAS marketing and clinical trials CROs already being invested with a SAS code base.

I brought up the clinical trails question for a number of reasons, one being that I was surprised by the SAS dominance. I started using Stata at the 7/8 version change. There were some obvious features missing in Stata 7/8 compared to SAS at that time. These days, with Stata 10, it is me that is lagging Stata in features! The completeness of the Stata product juxtaposed against a lack of visibility in areas of "analytics" and "clinical trials" in the corporate sector caught my attention (I work in academia). Learning that U Chicago Med switched to Stata was eye opening, as was Dr. Lachenbruch's comments. I guess market dominance is hard to compete against. 5 years of great products and amazing visibility for Apple have only resulted in a few percentages gained in OS market share against Microsoft.

Thanks.