Re: st: Stata v SPSS output

From   Pamela Meadows <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata v SPSS output
Date   Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:28:29 +0100 (BST)

I have to say that I always use a convenient approach
suitable for a technological simpleton  to format my
output for publication:
1.  Set log file output to text
2.  Copy relevant table of results into Excel
3.  Format output in terms of column width, fonts,
borders, justification of each column etc in Excel
(you have to delete the columns with the Stata column
delimiters, which is a bit of a pain but not really a
problem)
4.  Copy Excel table and paste into Word and it will
look exactly the way you want it to, and you can make
sure it looks nicely camera-ready if need be.

This is not the way recommended by sophisticates, but
uses idiots' tools and I find it quite quick,
certainly quicker than learning how to use some fancy
unfamiliar piece of software.  (I am not a Luddite,
but I only need to produce publishable tables of
output every few months, so I prefer to stick to
programs that I use regularly, because I actually know
how to use them.) I mostly do my graphs for
publication in Excel for the same reason.

=====
Economic and Social Policy Research
35 The Avenue
Kew