Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

From   Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie>
Subject   Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
Date   Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:05:24 +0100

On 24 Meith 2010, at 18:37, Nick Winter wrote:

At the risk of provoking flames - can someone articulate the reason
*for* citing the statistical software used in a book or article,
especially in the case where only very standard statistical tools are
used?  We don't, for example, generally cite the word processor,
citation management software, and other computer tools used in the
course of our research....

No potential for flames as far as I can see.

As a reviewer I encourage the practice so that people know the capabilities of software, and if they are undertaking a similar study, they may be guided in their choice of software for analysis.

Ronan Conroy

rconroy@rcsi.ie
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)
http://rcsi.academia.edu/RonanConroy

P    Before printing, think about the environment