Re: st: About taking log on zero values

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: About taking log on zero values
Date   Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:57:14 +0100

One option you could also consider is that you treat the value 0 as
special which needs its own effect. This depends whether 0 means
"literaly nothing" or "so small that it could not be detected". In the
former case you would often want to treat the value 0 as qualitatively
different, while in the later case adding a small but not too small
number to the 0 values could be justified.

In case that you would want to treat the value 0 as qualititively
different, then I would do something like this:

gen byte nosales = (sales == 0) if sales < .
gen logsales = ln(sales)
sum logsales, meanonly
replace logsales = r(min) if nosales == 1
reg y x1 x2 logsales nosales

In that case the coefficient for logsales can be interpreted as
before, but refers only to sales > 0. The coefficient for nosales
represents the difference in expected value of y between those units
with no sales at all and those units with the smallest non-zero sales.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB