Re: st: About taking log on zero values

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: About taking log on zero values
Date   Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:42:49 -0500

To Nick's typically excellent advice I'll add two comments:

> 4. Doing something about 0s is only necessary with logarithmic
> transformation. If you have 0s in the response, you can leave them and
> use a logarithmic link. That won't necessarily be a good model, but
> using a logarithmic link doesn't require positive values in the
> response, only that the mean function be always positive. (This
> doesn't apply in your case as the variable in question is a
> predictor.)

This is reasonable if you think the 0s are simply the bottom end of the continuum, but if there are many zeroes, you may be looking at a zero inflated Poisson (ZIP) or hurdle model - that is, a dependent variable where one process generates the 0s and another the positive values.

> 5. There are usually alternatives, such as transformations other than
> logarithms.

In particular, if this is a predictor, a very good transformation is that provided by categorization. You will lose some power, but also make fewer assumptions. So for instance, instead of x or log(x) use e.g,

 gen newx = irecode(x,10,100,1000,.)

to get logarithm categories.

cheers,
Jeph