Re: st: RE: match variable across two tables

From   Sarah Edgington <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: match variable across two tables
Date   Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:32:34 -0800

Rochelle,
At this point to determine what to do next you're actually going to have to look carefully at your data, all of it, not just the first observation. Then you'll have to make some decisions about how to get from the data you have to the data you want.

Are naics2-naics8 missing for ALL observations. Stata doesn't make decisions about what format to import variables based on only the first observation so looking at the first observation is not going to be enough information to tell you what happened.

Then you'll want to look at naics1. Does it contain all the naics codes from your original table? If naics1 contains all your values, separated by spaces, and the rest of the naics variables are ALWAYS missing then you can, as I suggested previously, just get rid of the extraneous naics variables and use -split- as Robert suggested previously.

If naic2-naics8 contain data for some of your observations then you'll have to think harder about your next steps.

For -reshape- to work you need a series of numbered variables that all have the same storage format. You should have all the tools you need to get to that point. You just have to look carefully at your data and figure out what steps you need to take.

-Sarah