Re: st: CDF plot with normal probability axis

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: CDF plot with normal probability axis
Date   Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:54:53 +0000

Quite so. Choice of plotting position is discussed at some length in
the FAQ I mentioned, which links to the literature, and in
publications on my -qplot-  and its predecessor -quantil2- in the SJ
and STB respectively.

Naturally I am all in favour of using a better method rather than a
weaker one, but I remain unconvinced that minute differences in
plotting position either are discernible on a graph or have impact on
decisions about data, so long as you are not working with very small
samples. If you are, nothing much helps.

Your bigger argument is with StataCorp, who wire i / (n + 1) into
-qnorm- and (i - 0.5) / _N into -quantile- and don't allow variations.
My quantile plotting programs have always allowed user choice of a in
(i - a) / (n - 2a + 1).