Re: st: Chow test to test only slope coefficient and importance of dummy variable?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Chow test to test only slope coefficient and importance of dummy variable?
Date   Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:04:03 -0500

Hi, Sarah.

As that FAQ explains, we would do well not to focus so firmly on the
"Chow Test."  Greg Chow's 1960 result was helpful years ago, but
software has given us the flexibility to do that test and much more.
For many statisticians, hiding a straightforward test behind the name
"Chow Test" will produce puzzled looks.

You can test whether only the slopes are different and allow each
group to have its own intercept.  In fact, that is the usual situation
(e.g., a one-way analysis of covariance fits a common slope and
separate intercepts).  As in the example in that FAQ, you can fit the
model that has separate intercepts and separate slopes and then test
whether the slopes are equal.

That example did not use "noconstant" to remove the intercept from the
model.  It used that option in order to use separate coefficients
(including the constant) for each group.  In the command
. regress price mpg weight mpg2 weight2 group2
_const is the intercept for Group 1, and _const + _b[group2] is the
intercept for Group 2.  Also, the coefficient of mpg for Group 2 is
_b[mpg] + _b[mpg2], so the test of whether the coefficients of mpg in
the two groups are equal is the test of whether _b[mpg2] = 0.  (I am
assuming that mpg2 equals the product of mpg and the Group 2
indicator.)

David Hoaglin

Chow GC (1960).  Tests of equality between sets of coefficients in two
linear regressions.  Econometrica 28:591-605.