RE: st: OBS xtlogit/xtreg

From   Nerissa Fanoembi <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: OBS xtlogit/xtreg
Date   Tue, 12 Nov 2013 23:01:58 +0100

I carried out a xtlogit, depvar indepvar fe estimation and the
estimation output indicates a note that “n groups are dropped because of
 all positive or all negative outcomes”. This means that there is not
within individual variation in the outcome variable for n individuals. I
 am wondering if there is a command that gives me the number of
individuals that do not have within individual variation in a variable,
or as a matter of fact in the dependent variable. The issue here is that
 before the “xtlogit, depvar indepvar, fe” estimation I was busy with
carrying out “xtreg, depvar indepvar, fe” estimation and the estimation
output of xtreg does not tell me that n individuals do not have within
individual variation. Hence I coincidentally discovered after I have run
 the xtlogit estimation that n individuals do not have within individual
 variation. In principle I suppose I could create a variable using a
code like "by ID: gen newvar = sum(depvar != depvar[_n-1])” which could
show if values of depvar differ across time within each individual and
then I could count the cases that this does not happen. But still, I am
wondering if there is a more formal or simpler Stata command that can be
 used to check how many individuals do not have within individual
variation in a variable. I also would like to ask why the "xtreg depvar indepvar, fe"
would not give a note like "xtlogit depvar indepvar, fe" gives about the individuals that
have no within individual variation.