Re: st: Main effect for time-varying covariate

From   Nicole Boyle <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Main effect for time-varying covariate
Date   Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:39:54 -0700

Steve, your thoughts mirror much of my inner dialogue recently! Thanks
for your input. It's got me thinking quite a bit (as you can see by
the lengthiness of this post).

> My first question is one I asked earlier: On what grounds do you
> exclude the possibility of non-proportional hazards for Z?

I treated Z the same way that I would treat a typical fixed variable
in a Cox model, since each individual's covariate value input into the
model, and not the coefficient value output from the model, depends on
time.

After I split per each failure time and assigned Z's values per each
failure time per each subject, I fit the model for the outcome of
infection with Z as a fixed covariate:
.    quietly stcox var1 var2 Z, schoenfeld(sch*) scaledsch(sca*)
The Therneau and Grambsch tests for non-zero slopes of the Schoenfeld
residuals were conducted:
.    stphtest, detail
The scaled Schoenfeld residuals and their lowess smooths were also
plotted over time for visual assessment of PH:
.    stphtest, plot(Z) msym(oh)

The results of these analyses supported the notion of Z's independence
from time.

> Second, how do you plan to to show the impact of that covariate on
> cumulative incidence?

I haven't been entirely clear in my previous posts. My study concerns
describing incidence per hospital, and there are two hospitals. My
previous mention of plotting CIFs concerned plotting overall
cause-specific CIFs per each hospital (for both causes: infection
[outcome of interest] and death [competing]) before any covariates are
involved.

But to answer your question, thus far, I have not considered plotting
anything (CIFs or hazard functions) for Cox cause-specific covariate
effects, let alone Z. With regards to the inherent underlying question
of "What effects, if any, should I present?" I see these as my

Option 1: Plot functions for EVERY covariate for BOTH cause-specific
versions (infection and death) for BOTH hospitals. That's a lot of
clutter.

Option 2: Plot functions for only those covariates found to be
significant. I'm not comfortable with data-driven decisions, and this
feels data-driven.

Option 3: Plot functions for only those covariates considered (a
priori) to be the most important in this analysis. Z might be
considered the "most important" covariate, as it was one of the
primary scientific questions. However, I'm not sure if this is the
best approach, since this study is largely exploratory, and only
plotting Z might take the limelight away from other [possibly more]
important covariates. Z's importance doesn't mean that other
covariates are necessarily UNimportant.

Option 4: Plot no covariate effect functions. This avoids the
downfalls of options 1-3, but also doesn't add any information.

Any suggestions?

> 3. Select several time points t* and estimate future CIFs for those who
> switch at each t* ("switchers") and for those who don't switch
> ("stayers"), but who are at risk at t.

This "switchers" and "stayers" method is a very interesting idea!
Thanks for explaining this; I'd never heard of it before.

Wouldn't you have to make sure that those "stayers" remain "stayers"
throughout observation, or would it be sufficient enough to make sure
that the following two CIF functions look about the same?

   CIF for Z(t)=0, for all t (including switchers and never-switchers)
   CIF for Z(t)=0, for all t (ONLY including never-switchers)

Or is this^ what you meant by, "You can check this by estimating
separate F0s for the subgroup and its complement"?

Do you know of a reference where I could learn more?

Now, one more question of my own:
I've fit Cox models to estimate cause-specific covariate effects where
cause=infection [outcome of interest] and censored=death [our
"competing risk"]. However, I haven't yet considered fitting models
where cause=DEATH and censored=infection.

With cause-specific Cox models, is this necessary to fit separate
models for the outcome of interest (cause=infection) AND the competing
cause (cause=death)? Or is it considered good practice to only fit
models for the outcome of interest (cause=infection)?

Nicole