Re: st: about residuals and coefficients

From   Yuval Arbel <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Thu, 5 Sep 2013 04:04:55 -0700

Regarding Paul Douglass: I read his speech made at some conference in 1965.

According to what he said - the idea came to him when he was looking
at time series of ln(GDP) and ln(LABOR) on the vertical axis, and time
index on the horizontal axis. He noticed that the two series are
parallel to each other. Then he turned to the mathematician Charles
Cobb, who suggested the power function. Note, that the parallel lines
on a logarithmic scale imply that one is the product of the other.