Re: st: Observations that keep a feature...

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Observations that keep a feature...
Date   Fri, 24 May 2013 02:32:04 +0100

The idea of a spell in modest generality may be of help to you.
Setting aside what I learned of spells at a moderately well known
school in northern Britain, the program -tsspell- (SSC) and the 2007
article

SJ-7-2  dm0029  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Identifying spells
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q2/07   SJ 7(2):249--265                                 (no commands)
        shows how to handle spells with complete control over
        spell specification
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=dm0029

provide independent accounts of some ideas for identifying spells.

Two kinds of spells seem relevant to your problem:

1. A spell initiated by a particular event (e.g. a change of government).

2. A spell defined by some condition being true throughout its length
(e.g. a rainy spell is one in which it rained every day).

I would look at -tsspell- first and then the SJ article.