Re: st: Identify observations within a variable

From   Estrella Gomez <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Identify observations within a variable
Date   Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:08:01 +0200

Hi, Nick

One additional question: I guess that

by artist: egen origin = mode (isrc_country)

where isrc_country is the country of origin, shows for each artist the
origin country that is more frequent. Is it possible to weight this
measure according to the number of total sales?

This is an example of what I mean: there are many observations in
which the number of sales is only one. Then if there are, say, 200
observations with one sale for Shakira originally recorded as from
Colombia, but one observation with 300 sales for Shakira originally
recorded as from USA, the egen command would interpret that Shakira is
from Colombia, when it is more reasonable to attribute an US origin in
this case.

Thanks a lot,
Estrella