Re: st: Re: z-score diff plots

From   Nikos Kakouros <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: z-score diff plots
Date   Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:13:31 -0400

Dear Prof Cox,

Thank you for your reply.

Although the tests are meant to measure the same factor they do so
differently and hence with vary different resultant values.  This is
why I standardized into z-scores and then plotted the difference
between the matched z-scores against the third variable.

I think it worked as I can see a pattern as expected from the below:
a) The first test appears to be dependent on the third variable
linearly (lower results, I think artifactual, with higher levels of
the third variable).

b) The second test values appear flat when plotted against the third
varilable  (i.e the results from this test do not appear to be
affected by this variable).

c) The difference in z-scores between the two tests does have a
significant slope (p<0.005) when plotted against the third variable.
I take this to suggest that there is a significant difference in the
way the two tests interact with the variable (else their z-scores
should cancel out and produce a horizontal plot along the 0 line).  I
guess this is effectively showing that there is a significant
difference in their respective regression line coefficients against
the third variable but in a graphical way.

Does this make sense?  I appreciate this is not directly a Stata
question but I'm a clinician with limited statistics experience and
have never come across a similar plot and neither have I found it
mentioned anywhere. I think that (if valid) it should be helpful...
(maybe this could be the start of a new Stata command :)

I would be grateful for your comments.

Many thanks again,

Nikos