Re: st: Modelling Relative Risks with -fracpoly-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Modelling Relative Risks with -fracpoly-
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:44:25 +0000

I alerted Patrick Royston to this thread. (Patrick is not a member of
Statalist, but one of the progenitors of fractional polynomials.)

He wrote:

"Sounds to me potentially like a "spike at zero" problem, which occurs
when the exposure is semi-continuous (e;g. cigarettes smoked per day)
and you wish to model a "probability spike" at zero exposure and a
continuous function for positive exposures. The topic -- sometimes
cryptically known as the "Robertson problem" due to an early paper on
this by said author -- is discussed in our 2008 book (Royston &
Sauerbrei, "Multivariable model-building", Wiley, Chichester) and
treated in detail in a paper in press with the Biometrical Journal
(Becher, Lorenz, Royston, Sauerbrei, 2013).

Actually, -fracpoly- has undocumented options -zero- and -catzero-
that are designed for this problem. Curiously, similar options are
available with -mfp- that are documented.

Colin may wish to investigate this avenue. He could indeed use -mfp-
instead of -fracpoly- if he wished."

Nick