Re: st: Alternatives to box plots

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Alternatives to box plots
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:42:06 +0000

Don't disagree.

One practical detail: I gather that box plots are widely used in U.S.
high schools, and perhaps elsewhere in pre-university courses.

So one of several biases could be that textbook writers want to build
on what the students should already know.

I want to keep emphasising that a box plot will almost always be
better than no plot. It is just that sometimes some other plot will be
better than a box plot.

Nick