Re: st: Modelling Relative Risks with -fracpoly-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Modelling Relative Risks with -fracpoly-
Date   Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:12:51 +0000

Sorry, that was too hasty. You said much more than I noticed in a
brisk reading.

However, forcing through the origin here still seems more problematic
than usual.

In the easiest applications, (0, 0) is unattainable but a sensible
limit on physical (biological, economic, ...) grounds. (Mundane
example: length and area of objects.) In the best applications,
forcing a function through the origin is also consistent with the data
say.

Here it seems that RR < 1 and RR > 1 could be something you observe
even for exposure at or near 0, just as a matter of empirical
fluctuation. If they are about equally common, your curve should
reflect that any way. If they aren't equally common, force is not
nice.

Nick