Re: st: instrumenting Moving average variable

From   Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: instrumenting Moving average variable
Date   Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:27:20 -0400

The answer lies on how your moving average is formed and what are the
assumptions on the exogeneity of your independent variable. Let's say
your model is:

y_it = a_i + b y_i,t-1 + c x_it + e_it

You don't have your independent variable x_it available, but you have
a backward looking moving average x*_it = 1/3 (x_it + x_i,t-1 +
x_i,t-2).
Depending on your assumptions on the exogeneity of x, you may have to
instrument it or not. We have three cases:

1. Strict exogeneity: E(x_it e_is) = 0 for all s. In this case x and
x* uncorrelated with all the errors and you don't have to instrument
it.
2. Endogenous with past errors: E(x_it e_is) != 0 for s < t,
E(x_it*e_is)=0 for s>=t. In this case the correlation between x* and e
is still 0 and you don't have to instrument it.
3. Contemporaneously endogenous: E(x_it*e_is) != 0 for s <= t,
E(x_it*e_is)=0 for s>t. In this case you have endogeneity:
E(x*_it e_it) = 1/3 E(x_it e_it + x_i,t-1 e_i,t + x_i, t-2) = E(x_it e_it) !=0
You can solve it instrumenting x* with its lag, so the term x_it e_it
will dissapear from the expected value.

Now suppose instead you don't have a backward looking moving average
but a symmetric moving average instead: x**_it = x_i,t+1 + x_it +
x_i,t-1.
1. Strict exogeneity: No need for instruments.
2. Endogenous with past errors: Can instrument with first lag.
3. Contemporaneously endogenous: Instrument it with second lag.

Hope this helps,
Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez