Re: st: instrumenting Moving average variable

From   San K <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: instrumenting Moving average variable
Date   Tue, 5 Jun 2012 11:37:11 +1000

First of all Im not an econometrician.
You said you are using 3 year MA. That means your ‘y’ has U(t), U(t-1)
and U(t-2). Your l.y has U(t-1),U(t-2) and U(t-3). Hence, you have
endogeneity problem.

Now, can you use the Lag3 as instrument? I don’t think you can as your
l.y includes the lag 3.

I think you are artificially smoothing out the data by taking 3 year
MA. It kills off any year to year variations. Also you are loosing
valuable 2 time points.

As I said I'm not an econometrician so I could be wrong and you would
know your data better.

Regards,
San K