Re: st: Using ivregress when the endogenous variable is used in an interaction term in the main regression

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using ivregress when the endogenous variable is used in an interaction term in the main regression
Date   Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:15:14 -0800

" It does not seem too much of a stretch to assume Z*X1
uncorrelated with e as well (which implies X2hat*X1 uncorrelated with
e)"

This part is the problem. When you form cross-products of the
instrument matrix, you will end up with quadratic terms in Z, coming
from terms like the one you mention, which will need to be
uncorrelated with the structural errors, hence the independence
requirement.

Again, note that X1 is included so there is no overidentification (or,
at best, the same degree of overidentification as without the
interaction term).

Tirthankar Chakravarty