Re: Other forums [was: RE: st: RE: how to force same excluded groups across regression models]

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Other forums [was: RE: st: RE: how to force same excluded groups across regression models]
Date   Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:27:58 -0400

sorry; I suggest you contact tech-support and send them the exact code
you attempted to use with -xtreg-; also include a detailed description
of what you mean by not working with -xtreg-

Rich

On 10/12/11 3:16 PM, Megan Sheahan wrote:
> Richard - I think you pointed me in the correct direction. Thanks!
> However, it seems to work for -regress-, but not when I regress using
> -xtreg-. Any thoughts on why that might be? There is no help in the
> manual.
>
> Fernando - Thanks for your suggestion. Stata still does strange things
> when I create separate dummies for each category and interact them
> separately.
>
> Megan
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Fernando Rios Avila
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Megan,
>> I know this is a more simple solution, but perhaps you should try to
>> create the dummies and interaction terms before the different
>> specifications are estimated, so you can have more control on which
>> variable is used as baseline reference.
>> regards,
>> Fernando
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Megan Sheahan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Nick. I'll try my question again on here.
>>>
>>> I am attempting to run the same model as pooled OLS, fixed effects,
>>> and CRE. There are a number of interaction terms in my model with
>>> categorical variables. When Stata runs these three models, it chooses
>>> different groups to exclude in the FE model than in the OLS and CRE
>>> models, making the output difficult to compare. For example, I am
>>> interacting three zone groups and four soil groups with N. The CRE and
>>> OLS models keep all three zones and omit the fourth soil group. The FE
>>> model omits the first zone and keeps all four soil groups. Is there
>>> any way to tell Stata to exclude the same groups across regression
>>> models? I tried the following command, but it did not fix the problem:
>>> char varname[omit].
>>>
>>> For reference, here is the syntax for the three models:
>>>
>>> /* POOLED OLS */ regress yield_ha c.N_ha#zone_comb
>>> c.N_ha#c.N_ha#zone_comb c.N_ha#c.P_ha#zone_comb
>>> c.N_ha#soil_group_megan c.N_ha#c.rain_stress#zone_comb seed_ha
>>> c.seed_ha#c.seed_ha hectares c.hectares#c.hectares masset_ha
>>> c.masset_ha#c.masset_ha rain_stress i.manure i.hybrid
>>> c.rain_stress#hybrid i.legume i.crop_per_field i.dist i.FAO_class