Re: st: Creating a second output data set

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating a second output data set
Date   Fri, 9 Sep 2011 22:25:57 +0100

Your code shades between Stata and incomplete Stata, as you will know.

However, a key principle here is that -postfile- never sees the locals
in your calling program. It just gets passed their values. That's not
a problem. It's the way to get round the basic fact that one program's
locals are invisible to another program.

Also these two lines definitely won't work

       local N_total
       egen double `N_total'=total(`count')

The first defines the local N_total as blank, which is equivalent to
not defining it at all. So, Stata will read the second line as

egen double = total(`count')

which will fail, as no new variable name is supplied.

That said, there is no need to create a variable just to hold a total.

su `count', meanonly

will leave r(sum) in memory and the value of that can be put somewhere
appropriate, into a local or a scalar or directly into another file.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Bryan Sayer <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
> probability (note that the joint probability calculation should be on one
> line):
>
> program jointprob
> args design infile outfile psu count margprob
> tempvar psu1 psu2 pi_one pi_joint
> tempfile results
>        /* set up the file with the joint probabilities */
>        postfile `results' `psu1' `psu2' using "`outfile'" ,replace
>        /* get the number of observations and the total count */
>        local N=_N
>        local N_total
>        egen double `N_total'=total(`count')
>
> quietly {
>        /* read the input data set and create combinations of N items
>           taken 2 at a time, without replacement */
>        forvalues J = 1/`N'{
>                forvalues K = 1/`N'{
>                        if `K'>`J'{
>                                psu1=`psu'[`J']
>                                psu2=`psu'[`K']
>
>  pi_joint=(`count[`J']'*`count[`K']'/`N_total') *
> ((1/(`N_total'-`count[`J']')+(1/(`N_total'-`count[`K']'))
>                                post `results' psu1 psu2 pi_joint
>                                }
>                }
>        }
> }
>

> Bryan Sayer
> Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 5:00
> Phone: (614) 442-7369
> FAX:  (614) 442-7329
> [email protected]
>

> On 9/7/2011 9:44 AM, Roger Newson wrote:
>>
>> -postfile- will still work if there is an existing dataset in the
>> memory. However, the new dataset will be built in a file.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Roger
>>

>> Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
>> Lecturer in Medical Statistics
>> Respiratory Epidemiology and Public Health Group
>> National Heart and Lung Institute
>> Imperial College London
>> Royal Brompton Campus
>> Room 33, Emmanuel Kaye Building
>> 1B Manresa Road
>> London SW3 6LR
>> UNITED KINGDOM
>> Tel: +44 (0)20 7352 8121 ext 3381
>> Fax: +44 (0)20 7351 8322
>> Email: [email protected]
>> Web page: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/
>> Departmental Web page:
>>
>> http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/about/divisions/nhli/respiration/popgenetics/reph/
>>

>> Opinions expressed are those of the author, not of the institution.
>>
>> On 07/09/2011 14:40, Bryan Sayer wrote:
>>>
>>> -postfile- will post my results, but my reading of how it works seems to
>>> indicate that my original data set cannot be open at the same time. The
>>> examples appear to me to clear the existing data set from memory.
>>>
>>> Admittedly, this is without me having tried anything yet, but am I not
>>> reading it correctly?
>>>
>>> What I need to do is a double loop through the input data set,
>>> outputting a record on each iteration of each loop. So I need the input
>>> data set open in memory, and a second file to post the results to.
>>>
>>> Are there any examples of something similar?

>>> FAX: (614) 442-7329