Re: st: Creating a second output data set

From   Bryan Sayer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating a second output data set
Date   Fri, 09 Sep 2011 15:49:34 -0400

So I am still a bit confused about how -postfile- works when I want to preserve the data in memory. Specifically, how I generate the variables that I want in my -postfile- output versus the new one I do want to add to the data set in memory.

I'm thinking I want to use a local (maybe macro?) variable for my results that go to -postfile-? In other words, how do I distinguish variables between the two files.

Also, how do I accumulate results for my new variable that goes in my memory data set. I need to accumulate a sum for two observations in memory on each post to -postfile-.

Here is what I have so far, but with the last part calculating the marginal probability (note that the joint probability calculation should be on one line):

program jointprob
args design infile outfile psu count margprob
tempvar psu1 psu2 pi_one pi_joint
tempfile results
	/* set up the file with the joint probabilities */
	postfile `results' `psu1' `psu2' using "`outfile'" ,replace
	/* get the number of observations and the total count */
	local N=_N
	local N_total
	egen double `N_total'=total(`count')

quietly {
	/* read the input data set and create combinations of N items
	   taken 2 at a time, without replacement */
	forvalues J = 1/`N'{
		forvalues K = 1/`N'{
			if `K'>`J'{
				psu1=`psu'[`J']
				psu2=`psu'[`K']
pi_joint=(`count[`J']'*`count[`K']'/`N_total') * ((1/(`N_total'-`count[`J']')+(1/(`N_total'-`count[`K']'))
				post `results' psu1 psu2 pi_joint
				}
		}
	}