Re: st: Filtering methods with short time series

From   Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Filtering methods with short time series
Date   Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:42:45 -0500

Try to avoid -cfitzrw-, I have compared the output from
implementations of the Christiano Fritzgerald filter in other software
to the Stata output and they are different. I already contacted the
authors about this, but I haven't received any response.

I don't understand why you argue that you need I(2) data to use the HP
filter. You can use it on series with a lower order of integration,
with the caveat that this might induce spurious autocorrelation on the
filtered series.

You might want to try the user written commands -bking- or -couliari-,
that implement different approximations of the band pass filter. The
latter estimates end points directly, thus avoiding the "future
information" problem you write about. -bking- will only produce the
filtered series, but you can obtain the cycle substracting the
filtered series from the original series. -couliari- will produce both
a trend and a cycle.

To improve the smoothing to better suit your needs, you might want to
try to vary the plo (s) and phi (e) options of bking(couliari), to
extract cycles of the frequency you desire.
Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez