Re: st: Sample selection correction models with fixed-effects

Subject   Re: st: Sample selection correction models with fixed-effects
Date   Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:10:26 -0500

Ivy Kodzi <[email protected]> :
You have missing data, not unobservable data, so you should not jump
to a parametric model like -heckman- where you have to make strong
assumptions about unobservables; instead jump to -mi- to impute
regressors.  But you have missing data on birthweights, right?  And
that is your outcome (AKA depvar)?  Your first step is simply to limit
your sample to cases without missing data.   Perhaps you will later
want to limit your estimation sample to types of cases with lower
rates of missingness, for example by running separate logits of low
birthweight on parity dummies within narrow bands of reported income
and discarding results with small numbers of observations (effectively
allowing a nonparametric dependence of low birthweight incidence on
parity and income).

You have repeated observations on mothers? Running logits, the
conditional fixed effect model will run very slowly with that many
obs, but will in the end give you marginal effects very similar to a
fixed-effect linear regression (linear probability model) most of the
time, so you might start with -xtreg, fe- or -areg- instead (or
-xtivreg2- from SSC).  The reason you can't include dummies and run a
regular logit is not that you have 100K mothers; it is that you have a
few obs per mother--the approach of including dummies and running a
regular logit works when you have enough obs to run a separate logit
in each group, so your asymptotics work out OK (i.e. you are assuming
the N within each group of obs is close to infinity, not the overall
N, so your individual dummies are estimable).